Willow and I did a cooking demo at Alfalfa’s this Sunday. The Kimchi dumplings that we made on site were a big hit, everything that went into them we grabbed off the shelves at the store. I hope you enjoy this interactive dinner (kids love to try their hand at dumpling wrapping the results might not always be pretty but I can assure you they’ll be fun and yummy!)
1lb of stuffing makes about 50 dumplings. i think that’s about one packet of wrappers though it does depend how thick the dumpling skins are.
Recipe for Kimchi Dumplings
1/2 lb Minced Pork or Roasted Yams with skins removed
1/2 lb Kimchi
50 dumpling wrappers
Some kind of Sauté Oil
– strain and squeeze Kimchi, reserve pickling liquid.
– chop Kimchi into little pieces… take your time to do this by hand for a better texture
– mix Kimchi pieces with pork or potato. use chopsticks or a wooden spoon and stir vigorously, use a little bit of pickling liquid if needed, but make sure that mixture is not too wet.
– mix in half a teaspoon of sesame oil
– wrap dumplings (wet edge of dumpling wrapper, don’t over fill, make little pleats or you can simply fold the dough in half and seal the edges)
– if freezing for another day freeze flat on a tray then when frozen you can store in a container or baggie.
– heat oil, add dumplings and saute on medium until bottoms of dumplings are brown (about five minutes). add 1/4 cup water and cover for another five minutes
– make a sauce using reserved pickling liquid, soy and sesame oil